Yesterday, La Pétanque Marinière hosted the 2013 Northwest Regional Select Triples tournament.
This tournament was sanctioned by the FPUSA and carried very generous purses.
As the name indicates, participating players were allowed to pick their teammates and the outcome of the tournament hinged largely on the caliber of the selected players.
And yesterday there was an abundance of very good players.
Fifteen (15) triplettes registered to compete and were as follows:
- Ed Porto/Mike Cooper/Bleys Rose
- Jean-Michel Poulnot/Bernard Passmar/Paul Koss
- Jean-Claude Etallaz/Carolina Jones/Etienne Rijkheer
- Henry Wessel/Calvert Barton/Hendrik Idzerda
- Paul Moua/Ly Pao Nhia Yi/Poe Lee
- Alain Efron/Francois Moser/Christine Cragg
- Pao Lee/Chan Yiong/Kue Lee
- Narin Garrett/Erin Mc/Barbara Hall
- Mickey Coughlin/Nicole Coughlin/Holly Sammons
- Alain Gusella/J-C Bunand/Mireille Di Maio
- Gilles Karpowicz/Carlos Couto/Pierre Palaneado
- John Morris/Marie-Ann Curley/Pierre Bremont
- Mona Lee/Bee Moua/Phominik Lee
- Yor Lee/Lee Lee/Kao Lee
- Patrick Vaslet/Hans Kurz/Kevin Evoy
The tournament was run by Verena Rytter.
Three thirteen points (mercifully timed) games were played before lunch to separate the hotshots from the average players.
Eight teams qualified for the Concours, and seven teams for the Consolante.
My own team was composed of Christine Cragg, Francois Moser and myself and I am sorry to say that we didn’t do very well.
We lost our 1st game 8/13 against Yor Lee/Lee Lee/Kao Lee
We ignominiously lost our 2nd game 2/13 against Alain Gusella/J-C Bunand/Mireille Di Maio. Such a miserable score is always difficult to swallow.
We barely lost our 3rd (timed) game 11/12 against Gilles Karpowicz/Carlos Couto/Pierre Palaneado after leading 11/9
We ended up in the Consolante.
On our first (and last) Consolante game we barely lost (11/13) against Paul Moua/Ly Pao Nhia Yi/Poe Lee and we were out of the tournament.
We played better (or were luckier) in our last 2 games, but losing four consecutive games in a row is a rather demoralizing experience and I never pretended to be a good loser.
Losing also tends to emphasize fatigue and after our last defeat I decided to go home and like Achilles, brood in my tent.
I left the field around 3:30 p.m. and didn’t bother to take any pictures. Sorry about that.
FINAL RESULTS provide by Verena Rytter
1st place: Gilles Karpowicz/Carlos Couto/Pierre Palaneado – $70 for each player
2nd place: Pao Lee/Chan Yiong/Kue Lee – $50 for each player
3rd place: Mickey Coughlin/Nicole Coughlin/Holly Sammons – $30 for each player
1st place: Paul Moua/Ly Pao Nhia Yi/Poe Lee – $30 for each player
2nd place: Jean-Claude Etallaz/Carolina Jones/Etienne Rijkheer – $20 for each player
Please excuse my uncertain spelling of all the Asian names.