So how was it?
It was, excuse my French, f***ing hot. Ninety-four degrees in the shade. Too hot to allow my superbly tuned machine to function properly.
I think that I overheated and blew a gasket, maybe two. I subsequently failed as a photographer and as a player.
We thoroughbred need decent conditions to perform optimally. Sorry about that.
I also realize by the way that I took a lot of pictures of young Julien Bourgade, but I am partial to kids… so sue me.
But enough with the confounded meteorological conditions.
A respectable bunch of people showed up for the picnic and the tournament.
A picnic for about 60 people is not a walk in the park. It takes a lot of hard work to bring this to fruition.
I don’t have all the facts but I know that Verena, Claudie, Liv and Helga, Alain Marchand, Antoine and Jean-Claude Etallaz worked very hard to make this event a success.
Don’t forget to show your appreciation, or even kiss them (yes) next time you see them.
40 people signed up to play in the tournament. Based on a random pairing the teams were as follows:
- Bleys Rose & Tamara Efron
- Damian Jonathan & Sandra Shirkey
- Brigitte Moran & Nancy Jencks
- Marc Di Maio & Liliane Sebban
- Francois Moser & Gilbert Sonet
- John Johnson & David Lindsey
- Charlie Davantes & Evan Falcone
- Philippe Arnaud & Verena Rytter
- Mark Shirkey & Harry Helms
- Ed Porto & J-M Poulnot
- Teri Sirico & Mireille Di Maio
- Alain Efron & Ellen Leznik
- J-C Etallaz & Sabine Mattei
- Albert Wood bury & Calvert Baron
- Gustave Foucher & Logan Ginsberg
- Noel Marcovecchio & William La Velle
- Louis Toulon & Caitlin Woodbury
- Joe La Torre & Helga Facchini
- Julien Bourgade & Alain Bourgade
- Christine Cragg & Claudie Chourre
Three games were played in afternoon and at the end of the day the results were as shown below:
1st place: Ed Porto & J-M Poulnot $35.00 ea
2nd place: Damian Jonathan & Sandra Shirkey $30.00 ea
3rd place: Joe La Torre & Helga Facchini: $25.00 ea
4th place: Brigitte Moran & Nancy Jencks: $20.00 ea
5th place: Bleys Rose & Tamara Efron: $15.00 ea
6th place: Julien Bourgade & Alain Bourgade $10.00 ea
After taking the usual celebratory pictures, I ran away like a thief to take a much-needed shower and to cool off in the sanctuary of my air-conditioned abode.
Don’t be offended if I did not say goodbye. It was “un cas de force majeure”.
I still love you.
- To look at photos of this event and listen to the accompanying background music, turn your computer’s sound on, and click on the link “My Photos” located on the right side of this page. For best viewing, go Full Screen.
- If you are reading this page in the WordPerfect format and cannot see the links located on the right side, click twice on the title of the post (in blue) and twice on the “Home” link to access the original format.